The Chinese of 3500 years ago believed that the earth was a chariot, and the sky was a curved canopy(天空) stretched above it. The canopy was nine layers thick, and it sloped slightly to the northwest, as a cataclysm(地陷) had broken one of its supporting columns. This gentle slope explained the movement of the stars from east to west.
According to these ancient Chinese beliefs, the sun spent the night on earth and ascended to the sky each morning from the luminous valley of the earth by climbing the branches of an immensely tall sacred tree. To the Chinese people, the sun was the incarnation of goodness, beauty, and truth. In popular imagination, the sun was represented as a cock that little by little assumed human form. His battles with the dragons, which personified evil in their beliefs, accounted for momentary disappearances of the sun that men now call eclipses. Many of the Chinese people worshiped the sun, but in the vast and complicated organization of the Chinese gods, the sun was of only secondary importance.
Along with these unsophisticated beliefs about the sun, the Chinese evolved a science of astronomy based upon observation—though essentially religious—which enabled them to predict eclipses of the sun and the movement of the stars. Such predictions were based on calculations made by using a gnomon(【天文】日晷仪指针)—an object whose shadow could be used as a measure, as with a sundial or simple shadow pointers. Moreover, with the naked eye, the Chinese observed sunspots, a phenomenon not then known to their contemporaries.
31. The ancient Chinese believed that the earth ______.
A。 was a chariot B。 sloped to the northwest
C。 was supported by columns D。 had nine layers
32. To the Chinese people, the sun represented ______.
A. the primary god B. evil
C。 goodness, beauty and truth D。 combat
33. The sun’s disappearances were thought to be caused by ______.
A. fights with cocks B. fights with dragons
C。 a scientific phenomenon D。 eclipse
34。 Ancient Chinese astronomy could be accurately described as ______。
A. entirely religious in nature B. based on legendary figures
C. advanced in some areas D. completely unsuccessful
35. Implied but not stated: ______.
A. The sun was worshiped by all the Chinese people
B. The sun was thought of as a cock
百家乐技巧C. Chinese religion and astronomy were closely interrelated
D. Sundials were first used by the Chinese
Part Ⅲ Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the centre.
36. Though I was ______, I was not ______.
A. lone; lonely B. alone; lonely
C. lonely; lone D. lonely; lonely
37. The meeting was put off because we ______ a meeting without John.
A。 objected for having B。 objected to have
C。 were objected to having D。 objected to having
38. Every autumns farmers ______ the soil to destroy the weeds.
A。 turn down B。 turn over
C. turn up D. turn on
39. I’m sure Harry’s quite ______ to the task.
A。 loyal B。 willing C。 equal D。 capable
40。 Many disadvantaged pupils tend to reject the school and everything it ______。
A. counts on B. sees to
C。 takes advantage of D。 stands for
百家乐技巧41. Do you like any of the music ______ you’ve listened?
A. for which B. that C. to which D. which
42. Many people want to buy it because, ______, the price is low, it’s rather durable.
A. on one side; on the other side
B. for one thing; for another
百家乐技巧C. on the one hand; on the other hand
D。 in one part; on the other part
43。 It was not until 1920 ______ regular radio broadcasts began。
A。 that B。 since C。 when D。 while
44. The behavior of men as individuals is ______ from their behavior in a group.
百家乐技巧A. distinct B. popular
C。 adequate D。 comprehensive
45。 It was ______ of him to get angry about it。
A. familiar B. serious C. unsuitable D. typical
46. As you treat me ______ will I treat you.
A。 as B。 like C。 so D。 and
47. There was a sudden crack of gunfire and the crowd ______ in all directions.
A. dispersed B. spread C. scattered D. distributed
48. ______ can we yield to the pressure.
百家乐技巧A。 By and by B。 By and large
C。 By no means D。 By means of
49. It has been the same old story ever ______ he was a little boy.
A. after B. since C. when D. from
50. You ______ to the meeting to discuss the matter if you were really serious about your work.
A. ought to come B. ought to have come
C. must come D. must have come
51. You ______ your homework before you watch TV.
A. are doing B. are to be doing C. are to do D. do
52。 ______ nobody was willing to vote for her, she decided to drop out of the election。
A. When B. That C. Seeing that D. So that
53. After the divorce she ______ never to marry again.
A。 inclined B。 resolved C。 regretted D。 consented
百家乐技巧54. Last week he promised that he ______ today, but he had not arrived yet.
A. would come B. will come
C。 is coming D。 would have come
55。 It is desired that he ______ his plan right away。
A. carries out B. had carried out
C. would carry out D. carry out
56。 On no account______ rudeness from his employees。
A. the manager will tolerate B. the manager will not tolerate
C. the manager tolerates D. will the manager tolerate
57。 The twin brothers are very much ______ in appearance。
A. alike B. likely C. like D. liked
58. Smith was much kinder to his youngest child than he was to the others, of course,______ made the others jealous.
A。 what B。 that C。 which D。 who
59. When we think of communication we ______ think of using words?talking face?to?face, writing messages, and so on.
A。 shortly B。 namely C。 practically D。 normally
60。 They had done their best to find ways to ______ nervous exhaustion but did not succeed。
A. treat B. operate C. cure D. care
61. Poor Susan had a time ______ to get children to go to bed.
A。 to try B。 trying C。 having tried D。 to have tried
62. I think it wrong ______ him not to accept our invitation.
A。 to B。 of C。 for D。 with
63。 There are coal, oil and metal ______ buried deep in the ground。
A. sources B. substances C. resources D. properties
64。 Melted iron is poured into the mixer much ______ tea is poured into a cup from a teapot。
A. in the same way like B. in the same way which
C. in the same way that D. in the same way as
65. It seems that the captain was ______ to the enemy’s temptation either to fame or to fortune.
A。 inactive B。 immune C。 immovable D。 motionless
66. It is not difficult to teach ______ students.
A。 smart B。 fashionable C。 sensitive D。 vital
67。 They are teachers and don’t realize ______ to start and run a company。
A. what takes it B. what it takes
C. what they take D. what takes them
68. Because of its intimacy, radio is usually more than just a medium; it is ______.
A. firm B. company C. corporation D. enterprise
69。 Mary was sure something favorable would ______, but nobody believed her。
A. turn up B. turn out
C。 turn on D。 turn in
70. The old couple wanted to see their daughter ______ the young manager.
百家乐技巧A。 marry B。 marrying C。 to marry D。 married
71. The house was not very old. It ______.
A。 ought not to have knocked down
B. ought not to have been knocked down
C。 ought not to knock down
D. ought not be knocked down
72. I remember ______ the piano beautifully when he was a child.
A. playing B. him to play
C. him to have played D. him playing
73. The assistant and graduate student ______ check the exercise books.
A。 help B。 helping C。 helps D。 to help
74. The ticket ______ you to a free meal in our restaurant.
A. permits B. credits C. grants D. entitles
75. ______, people can’t afford to buy expensive things.
百家乐技巧A。 With the prices of daily goods going up
B。 With the prices of daily goods gone up
C. The prices of daily goods go up
D. With the prices of daily goods go up
Directions:There are 10 blanks in the following passage。 For each numbered blank, there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D。 Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the centre。
Perhaps more than anything else, scientists are eager to find out if Martian life existed in the past—or still exists. ___76___ telescopes first zoomed in ___77___ Mars in the 17th century, people have conjured up a wild ___78___ of images or what Martians might look like. But space probes like the 1997 Sojourner land rover have yielded no evidence of such alien beings.
Most experts agree that if life did at one time evolve on Mars, finding evidence of that life—which would likely take the form of tiny organisms—won’t be easy. ___79___, many scientists are optimistic. “We’ve got organisms on Earth that adapted to life deep ___80___ the surface in underground water wells, ”says Stephen Clifford. “___81___ life like that evolved on Mars four billion years ago, there’s no reason why it ___82___ today.”
___83___ last year’s disappointing losses, the future of Martian exploration looks ___84___。 This year, two major films about fictitious Mars missions—Red Planet and Missions to Mars—are certain to heighten interest in our planetary neighbour。 More important, plans for new sets of NASA orbiters and landers—one to launch in 2001, the other in 2003—are already in the works。 Without a doubt, each new mission will inch scientists closer to ___85___ the mysteries of planet Mars。
76. A. When B. Before C. Ever since D. Ever
77. A. in B. on C. in the D. on the
78. A. varying B. various C. plenty D. variety
79. A. Still B. Even if C. Though D. Although
80. A. up B. under C. below D. above
81. A. When B. What C. That D. If
82. A. wouldn’t exist B. wouldn’t have existed
C. doesn’t exist D. has existed
83. A. Even if B. Despite C. Although D. However
百家乐技巧84. A. promised B. being promised
C。 promising D。 to be promised
85. A. understand B. understanding
C. be understood D. the understanding
Part Ⅴ Writing (15 points)
Directions:Now more people enjoy buying lottery tickets. Study the following charts carefully and write an article on the topic of Lottery. In your article, you should cover the following points:
(1)describe the graph.
百家乐技巧(2)analyze the reasons which account for the phenomenon。
(3)give your comments on it.